US Military Tests ICBM Hours After Beijing Parades Missiles Through Tiananmen Square
Mere hours after the latest missile test by North Korea and Beijing’s parading of its ICBM arsenal through Tiananmen Square during the 70th anniversary celebration of Communist Party rule, the US military decided to carry out a missile test of its own on Wednesday, testing an unarmed Minuteman III ICBM.
The Minuteman was launched from the Vandenberg Air Force Base in California at 1:13 am Pacific Time. The missile, which was equipped with a ‘reentry vehicle’, traveled 6,750 kilometers across the Pacific Ocean before touching down on the Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands, according to the Air Force Global Strike Command.
A photo of the test shows the missile in a brilliant purple hue.
Lockheed Martin may have lost out on designing America’s next-generation ICBM, but the company has been selected to help replace the vintage AGM-86 Air Launched Cruise Missile. The US$900 million US Air Force Technical Maturation and Risk Reduction (TMRR) contract tasks the company with developing the technology needed to build the nuclear-capable Long Range Stand Off (LRSO) missile. read more
Last Friday IBD wrote that, “Shortly after the North Korea [ICBM] test, Politico ran an article pointing out that ‘the Pentagon and its contractors still haven’t figured out how to reliably shoot down an intercontinental ballistic missile.’ The Washington Post noted that after spending tens of billions of dollars, the system ‘has never faced combat or been fully tested.’”
You may recall the fanfare a few months ago over a triumphant test of our missile defense system. We successfully intercepted one of our own mock ICBMs launched from the Marshall Islands. A Ground Based Interceptor (GBI) was deployed from California and shot down the ICBM. Hooray for us!
Unfortunately, that intercept is the exception, not the rule, and that’s very worrisome. The one successful intercept was as close to being “laboratory” conditions as one can be. Everything about the trial was highly scripted.
And Missile Defense Agency (MDA) director Vice Admiral James Syring told a House committee recently that “I would not say we are comfortably ahead of the threat. I would say we are addressing the threat.” Translation: We’re in trouble. read more
As most are aware, baby Huey, Kim Jong-un, ordered the firing of what is thought to be their latest attempt at an ICBM, which failed almost immediately. The launch is said to have taken place at or near the Sinpo Submarine base, on the Eastern Coast of North Korea.
The reason for the failure, other than being North Korean, is unknown. Some experts claim it to just be incompetence on the part of the regime, while others, mainly Pyongyang, insist that the United States hacked the missile, which caused it to fail. I’m good with either explanation, but especially pleased if we were to have hacked the missile.
It is suspected that the failed launch was to loosely coincide with V.P. Mike Pence’s visit to Seoul, South Korea.
Failure or no, this was to be yet another attempt at a show of military might by the sophomoric dictator, who thankfully, at least so far, has been all talk – no action.
The launch came on the heels of a massive parade of supposed military might and civilian solidarity. The parade was dubbed, “Day of the Sun,” commemorating the 105th birthday of North Korean founder and original unhinged dictator, Kim Il Sung, father of late leader Kim Jong-il and grandfather of Kim Jong Un, the country’s present lunatic. read more