- The Army’s new Extended Range Cannon Artillery (ERCA) has now hit a record 43 miles.
- That’s the longest verified distance for a howitzer.
- But a new Russian howitzer might be able to shoot just as far, if not farther.
Rheinmetall has unveiled its latest armed battlefield robot designed for tactical intelligence gathering and combat support. Part of the company’s Mission Master Autonomous – Unmanned Ground Vehicle (A-UGV) family, the Mission Master – Armed Reconnaissance system is capable of not only carrying out recon missions, but also providing fire support for troops.
- The United Kingdom has developed a new drone devoted strictly to battlefield combat.
- The drone uses sensors and machine vision technology to detect targets.
- Once located, the drone can blast away at the target with twin shotguns.
- The guided missile destroyer USS Kidd was recently spotted flying a Jolly Roger flag.
- The flag is a nod to Rear Admiral Kidd’s nickname, “Cap,” itself a reference to the notorious Captain Kidd the pirate.
- The Navy destroyer is adorned with the skull and crossbones of the Jolly Roger, from the flag to steel doors.