by: the Common Constitutionalist
Saudi student injured in Boston blasts doing well, says father
Friday 19 April 2013
Last Update 20 April 2013 3:35 am
JEDDAH: The father of the 20-year-old Saudi student who was injured in the deadly Boston blasts has said his son was indeed questioned about the explosions but only as a routine procedure.
Ali Alharbi, speaking to Saudi media on Wednesday, said his son Abdurrahman was just one of more than hundreds people of various nationalities who were questioned by investigators looking into the blasts that killed three people and injured more than 170 others.
Abdurrahman was watching the Boston Marathon on April 16 when two bombs placed in trash bins exploded. He sustained injuries in the body.
Another Saudi, identified as Noura Al-Ajaji, was said to have sustained a slight injury and was declared out of danger.
On Wednesday, Alharbi tweeted on Abdurrahman’s Twitter account and said his son was now out of danger and is receiving excellent care at the hospital where he is confined.
He also posted pictures for Abdurrahman, including one showing the student with the Saudi consul general in New York, Azzam Al Gain, during the official’s visit at the hospital room.
Abdurrahman had been a hot topic among US media, with one article published by The New Yorker, titled The Saudi Marathon Man, questioning whether he was the victim of racial profiling.
Reports have it that while Abdurrahman was in hospital being treated for his wounds, a “phalanx” of officers and agents and K9 unit searched his apartment.
“What made them suspect him? He was running — so was everyone. The police reportedly thought he smelled like explosives; his wounds might have suggested why. He said something about thinking there would be a second bomb — as there was, and often is, to target responders.
“If that was the reason he gave for running, it was a sensible one. He asked if anyone was dead—a question people were screaming. And he was from Saudi Arabia, which is around where the logic stops. Was it just the way he looked, or did he, in the chaos, maybe call for God with a name that someone found strange?” said the article authored by Amy Davidson. End of ARAB News Article
The article states that hundreds of people were questioned. That may be true, but the authorities snatched only Abdurrahman Ali Al Harbi. And only he was determined to be such a threat that a section 212, 3b was issued on him.
So what is a section 212, 3b designation?
The event file section 212, 3b designation was written into the Patriot Act. It is the highest terrorist watch list designation and is reserved for terrorists only, not just suspects or people of interest. It is so serious that the authorities, per the Patriot Act, must bring the suspect’s name and evidence for the designation before a government security panel for issuance of the 212, 3b.
They must’ve found something on this young innocent. Remember, this all happened after his home was searched for upwards of nine hours.
So we are supposed to believe that Homeland Security went to all this trouble to place a 212, 3b on him and that the event was simply revoked.
As far as anyone or I can find – no one has ever been issued a 212, 3b designation on them and had that designation removed – unless they’re dead.
Oh, and by the way; when the authorities went to issue the 212, 3b they found something odd. There was already another event file open on him. It may not have been a 212, 3b, but because of the process they have to go through, event files are not opened on innocent people. (unless they’re Christian or conservative. Just a little humor).
So Al Harbi obtained a student visa to specifically attend school in Ohio but never attended. He made it to Boston and stayed. This is significant for two reasons. First, that he was allowed in this country or allowed to stay when he was already a person of interest.
Second, and even scarier is that he is not the only one. 75,000 visas are issued to students from Muslim countries per year. Of those 75,000, 15,000 never show up at the school they are assigned. That’s 20%!
Remember, it took only 19 to take down the twin towers and damaged the Pentagon.
And we still don’t know where this young man is. Boston, Saudi Arabia, where?