You can’t tell me our courts aren’t completely politicized!
from the Daily Mail:
- Diddier Pacheco Salazar, 22, faced court in Oregon on January 27 over a DUI
- Judge Monica Herranz is accused of helping him leave Multnomah County Court so he wouldn’t be arrested by waiting ICE agents
- Salazar is an undocumented Mexican-born construction worker
- He ended up being arrested by agents two weeks later when he returned for a further court appearance
- ICE is not conducting a criminal investigation into Judge Herranz but she is being investigated internally
- Judge Herranz is on the board of the Oregon Hispanic Bar Association
Diddier Pacheco Salazar, 22, appeared before Judge Monica Herranz to plead guilty in a DUI case on January 27 in Multnomah County, Oregon.
Salazar entered the courtroom with his lawyer but never came back out again.
Herranz is now under internal investigation after U.S. Attorney Billy Williams accused the judge of letting Salazar leave through her private entrance after staff realized immigration and customs enforcement agents were waiting for him.
Every courtroom in the Multnomah County Circuit Court has three doors – one for the public, a private judge entrance and one for inmates to be brought in from jail.
Williams told KOIN the only explanation was that Herranz – who is on the board of the Oregon Hispanic Bar Association – or a member of her staff helped Salazar to leave through another door.
ICE agents brought the matter to Williams after the incident allowed Salazar to evade the immigration officials.
It occurred just days after Donald Trump signed an executive order to start building the wall on the U.S.-Mexico border and to crack down on the deportation of undocumented immigrants.