by: the Common Constitutionalist
Scroll Down for Audio Version
Flint, Michigan is known for one thing these days – lead poisoning.
In 2014 Flint began drawing its drinking water from the local Flint River while they waited to connect to a regional water source. Residents began complaining about the water quality and in 2015 it was discovered that some children in Flint had increased levels of lead in their blood. The Flint River water apparently had elevated lead levels and the children had ingested it.
It was all over from that point, for we all know that lead poisoning is very serious as it affects brain function, etc.
Now the residents of Flint have another health problem – and this time it’s real. I’ll explain the second half of that sentence in a bit.
It seems that the people of Flint have been sufficiently frightened to death by the lead scare that they are afraid to bathe or shower in the “contaminated” water. They are instead using baby wipes to clean themselves. The wipes are evidently not getting the job done. Because of this lack of basic hygiene, 53 Flint residents, so far, have been infected with Shigellosis, which causes bloody diarrhea, fever and nausea. There are a total of 84 victims of this highly infectious disease throughout the surrounding Genesee County.